2023-24 marks the first year that Pack 9 has included kindergarteners! The inaugural Lion Den is made up of a sturdy group of 5 boys led by Lexi Colton, Ben Washuta and Katie Antalek. The den meets every other Monday afternoon from 5:15 to 6:15 in the MRE Library beginning September 11th. Newcomers may join at any time during the year – they are never ‘behind.’
Lion Cubs begin by working on their Bobcat Badge, which is typically awarded at the first full Pack Meeting in December. In earning their Bobcat Badge, the boys learn key Scouting rituals such as the Scout sign, salute and handshake, as well as to begin memorizing the Scout Oath and Law.
During the year the Lion Den meetings are built around “Adventures,” or units of learning. In every activity, boys do their best* to earn Adventure-specific Belt Loops which they can proudly add to their uniform belt as they progress towards earning their Lion Badge at the conclusion of the year.
Lion Adventures are:
- Lion’s Honor (Intro to Cub Scouts and sportsmanship)
- Mountain Lion (Hiking skills)
- Fun on the Run (Exercise and fitness)
- King of the Jungle (Citizenship)
- I’ll Do It Myself (Personal care)
- Pick My Path (Making good choices)
- Animal Kingdom (Emergency preparedness and service)
- Ready, Set, Grow (Planting and growing food)
- Build it Up, Knock it Down (Physical and emotional building)
- Gizmos & Gadgets (Properties of force and motion)
- On Your Mark (Obstacle course)
There is plenty of time in the program for additional activities that take advantage of particular skills, interests or ideas that parents bring to the table. Parents roll up their sleeves and pitch in to make a healthy, memorable experience for their boys.