Pack 9 Pinewood Derby 2024!!
Cub Scouts: START YOUR GRAVITY! Get ready for the annual Pack 9 Pinewood Derby:
When: Saturday Jan. 6, 8am
Where: Luther Burbank Cafeteria
Click HERE for complete rulebook.
Boys must build their cars from standard BSA-issue parts. Since not everyone has a bandsaw or hand tools and vice, it is OK to purchase a pre-cut block such as this. The boy should then add weight, sand and paint, prepare wheels and axels and fasten to car.
If you’re brand new to the Pinewood Derby, here’s a short video you can watch with your son that walks you through the steps to building a car.
The boys compete against one another regardless of grade level – the cars are all mixed together. Each car will race 4 times – once in each of the 4 lanes on the track. The 4 times are averaged to decide placement amongst all the racers.
The top finishers will go to the Heart of New England Council-wide Pinewood Derby.
Cars cannot exceed 5.0 ozs and extended wheelbases are illegal. The rules may be found here.
Friday activities are remote – to be completed online
Pre-race Registration (Friday): Mandatory online registration has been extended to Friday 1/6 @ 4pm.
Online Voting (Friday)
We give awards (plaques) for winners in several online voting categories. For this to work, each boy must:
- Submit a photo of his car when he registers (online, no later than 4pm Friday)
- Return to the website after 4pm (once all the photos have been submitted) and vote for his favorite in each category:
- “Most Realistic” – car that looks like the real thing
- “Cubby” (Most Authentic) – car that looks like the boy built it entirely himself with no adult help
- “Most Creative Design” – self-explanatory
- “Funniest” – car most likely to bring a smile to your face
- “Pack 9 Favorite Car” – overall favorite as voted by peers
Saturday event is in-person at Luther Burbank Middle School on Hollywood Drive
Race Day (Saturday) Schedule:
- 8:00 – 9:00 – Weigh-in. Arrive no later than 8:30. Once racing begins at 9:00 we cannot add a car late due to constraints in the racing software that tallies results.
- 9:00 – 10:00 – Main Race to determine top 10 finalists
- 10:00 – 10:15 – Top 10 finalists race to determine the qualifiers for District PWD in April (last year the top 6 got to compete in Districts)
- 10:15 – 10:30 – Awards presentation (please plan to remain through the award presentation. Remind boys that courteously applauding one another’s success is one of our 12 Values.
- 10:30 – 10:45 – Sibling race
- 10:45 – 11:00 – Adult race
Boys should retrieve their cars on the spot, once the Pack racing is over.
If you are unable (or forget) to retrieve your car, they will be available later in the day in the brown deck box on the front portico of First Church.
Scouts should be in their uniforms for the event.
There will be a snack table – munchkins, crackers, juice, hot cocoa, coffee – all are appreciated and make for a more memorable event!
2022 Pinewood Derby