The Wolves Den meets every other Thursday evening from 6:15 to 7:15 in the Mary Rowlandson cafeteria beginning on September 26. The Den currently has 13 boys led by Sal Bhimji, Nick Facendola and Shawn Kerr.
Boys may join at any time during the year – they are never ‘behind.’
Wolf Den meetings are built around “Adventures,” or units of learning activities. Wolf Adventures are:
- Call of the Wild (Camping and outdoor skills)
- Council Fire (Community service)
- Duty to God Footsteps (Non-denominational and personal)
- Howling at the Moon (Communication)
- Paws on the Path (Hiking)
- Running with the Pack (Physical Fitness)
Wolves also work with their parent(s) or as a Den to complete one elective Adventure chosen from a group of options.
Latest News from the Wolves
On Saturday, the Cub Scouts of Pack 9 logged a 3.5 mile hike deep into the heart of Leominster State Forest in search of the famous Crow Hill Ledges. The boys and their families met up at Wachusett Mountain Ski area, then hiked the Mid State Trail to Redemption Rock. After a snack, Wolf Leader …
Wolf Den Calendar
The annual Pack 9 Campout and Court of Honor will be held on the weekend of June 6th & 7th at the Clinton Fish & Game Club in Berlin. The entire family is invited to join in the outdoor fun beginning at 2:00. After setting up their tent area, kids play informally in the big field while adults relax in the shade offered by the trees surrounding the area. Dinner is prepared by adult volunteers beginning at 5:00 with food served at 6:00. The Pack provides hamburgers, hot dogs (and steak tips?) while each den brings something to augment the meal. At 7:00, the Campfire and Court of Honor program begins, with songs, skits and year-end badges awarded.
Parents are encouraged to donate their son’s hat, neckerchief and slide to be passed on to boys in the year behind. Of course, if you donate gear, we make every effort to hook you up with gear donated by families in the den that is one year ahead of your son’s.
- Date: June 6/7
- Location: Clinton Fish & Game, 180 Lancaster Street, Berlin (sic – it’s in Berlin)
- Time: Any time after 2:00 on Saturday, up and out Sunday after breakfast
- Entire family welcome
- Food to bring: the Pack provides meat and staples, Dens provide as follows:
- Tigers – Ruffage – bring a green or fruit salad type thing
- Wolves – Starch – bring macaroni or potato salad type thing
- Bears – Desert – bring something easily distributed (i.e. cookies not a cake)
- Webelos – Breakfast – bring something to augment bacon, eggs and OJ (provided by Pack)
- There is an indoor hall with running water and bathrooms (yea!). No poison ivy unless you really go looking for it (yea!)
- Boys should wear play clothes, but bring uniforms for the Court of Honor
- A parent must sleep over with their children and children must sleep in tents with their parents
- Not welcome
- Nerf guns
- Electronic devices (esp. the boys. I realize siblings might ‘need’ their devices, but please do not allow them to become the center of attention)
- Axes, fireworks, guns, etc. 😮
- Balls, Frisbees, etc.
- Outdoor lawn games
- Early arrivers should ignore the small parking lot to the left in front of the building and instead go down the dirt road to the right and then pull off perpendicular to the road (to maximize parking space).
- Gear to bring:
|Bug repellant||Long pants and long-sleeved shirt||Tent|
|Sun screen||Sweatshirt||Sleeping bag|
|Ball, glove, outdoor play equipment||Hat and gloves (check night-time temp)||Ground cover|
|Camp chair(s)||Extra socks, underwear||Foam pad or air mattress|
|Lantern||Pocket knife (Whittlin’ Chip card-holders only)||Lantern|
2:00 – 5:00 Arrival, tent setup, free play
5:00 – 6:00 Dinner prep
6:00 – 7:00 Dinner
7:00 – 8:00 Court of Honor, Campfire Program
8:00 – 10:00 Free play
10:00 Lights out