In 2020-21 (during Covid) this den began as a combined group of first and second graders. The group bonded under the leadership of Margaret Campbell and Scott Granger who have built it into an enthusiastic and conscientious group of about 8 boys now in either 3rd or 4th grade. The den meets every other Wednesday evening from 6:15 to 7:30 in the MRE Cafeteria beginning September 14th. Newcomers may join at any time during the year – they are never ‘behind.’
Den meetings are built around “Adventures,” or units of learning activities. In every activity, boys do their best* to earn Adventure-specific Belt Loops which they can proudly add to their uniform belt as they progress towards earning their Bear or Webelos Badge at the conclusion of the year.
This year’s Adventures are:
- Cast Iron Chef (Fire and cooking)
- Duty to God and you (Non-denominational and personal)
- First Responder (First Aid and emergency response)
- Stronger, Faster, Higher (Physical fitness)
- Webelos Walkabout (Hiking)
Webelos also work with their parent(s) or as a Den to complete one elective Adventure chosen from a group of options.
* Do Your Best is the Cub Scout motto and it applies to boys, leaders and parents alike.
Webelos Den Calendar
Includes: unlimited pancakes, bacon, sausage, juice and coffee with Pack 9’s own maple syrup, tapped, boiled and bottled, right in Lancaster.
Cub Scouts take orders, serve and clean up
Pack 9 Maple Syrup for sale: $15/pint
Pack 9 proudly honors those who have sacrificed in our conflicts around the world. Boys march in uniform from the Town Green to the North Village Cemetery and back. Everyone enjoys a Hoodsie on the portico of First Church upon return!
The annual Pack 9 Campout and Court of Honor will be held on the weekend of June 3rd & 4th at the Clinton Fish & Game Club in Berlin. The entire family is invited to join in the outdoor fun beginning at 3:00. After setting up their tent area, kids play informally in the big field while adults relax in the shade offered by the trees surrounding the area. Organized field games and activities begin at 4:00pm, run by Pack leaders. Dinner is prepared by adult volunteers beginning at 5:15 with food served at 6:00. The Pack provides hamburgers, hot dogs (and steak tips?) while each den brings something to augment the meal. At 7:00, the Campfire and Court of Honor program begins, with songs, skits and year-end badges awarded.
Hat/Neckerchief Swap Program Parents are encouraged to donate their son’s hat, neckerchief and slide to be passed on to boys in the year behind. If you donate gear, we make every effort to hook you up with gear donated by families in the den that is one year ahead of your son’s.
- Date: June 3/4
- Location: Clinton Fish & Game, 180 Lancaster Street, Berlin (sic – it’s in Berlin)
- Time: Any time after 3:00 on Saturday, up and out Sunday after breakfast
- Entire family welcome
- Food to bring: the Pack provides meat and staples, Dens provide as follows:
- Tigers – Ruffage – bring a green or fruit salad type thing
- Wolves – Starch – bring macaroni or potato salad type thing
- Bears – Dessert – bring something easily distributed (i.e. cookies not a cake)
- Webelos – Breakfast – bring something to augment bacon, eggs and OJ (provided by Pack)
- There is an indoor hall with running water and bathrooms (yea!). No poison ivy unless you really go looking for it (yea!)
- Boys should wear play clothes, but bring uniforms for the Court of Honor
- It is not required to sleep over. It is OK to sleep at home and return by 7:00 for breakfast.
- Not welcome
- Nerf guns
- Electronic devices (esp. the boys. I realize siblings might ‘need’ their devices, but please do not allow them to become the center of attention)
- Axes, fireworks, guns, etc. 😮
- Balls, Frisbees, etc.
- Outdoor lawn games
- Early arrivers should ignore the small parking lot to the left in front of the building and instead go down the dirt road to the right and then pull off perpendicular to the road (to maximize parking space).
- Gear to bring:
|Bug repellant||Long pants and long-sleeved shirt||Tent|
|Sun screen||Sweatshirt||Sleeping bag|
|Ball, glove, outdoor play equipment||Hat and gloves (check night-time temp)||Ground cover|
|Camp chair(s)||Extra socks, underwear||Foam pad or air mattress|
|Lantern||Pocket knife (Whittlin’ Chip card-holders only)||Lantern|
3:00 – 4:00 Arrival, tent setup, free play
4:00 – 6:00 Field games/activities
6:00 – 7:00 Dinner
7:00 – 8:15 Court of Honor, Campfire Program, Arrow of Light Crossover
8:00 – 10:00 Free play
10:00 Lights out